U. OF Utah Historic Buildings Archive
Home Page

Bibliography

Building List

Campus Map

Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse (1939)

Photograph of Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse. Designed by Ashton and Evans architects, the fieldhouse was built with grant money totaling $81,818 from the PWA project funds.32 The rest of the money came from a bond issue for the building not costing more than $175, 000 and was established by the Board of Regents. The contractors were George A. Whitmeyer & Sons.31 5-11-39 The building was to be used "for physical education and the ROTC" and was the largest building on campus at the time of construction with a seating capacity of 4,000. 31 9-21-39, 31 11-10-38 Dedication of the building took place in January 1940.31 1-7-41 During WWII, starting in about 1943, the field house was used as a massive dormitory for 1,000 Army personnel. There was a STAR (Specialized Training and Reassignment) Unit assigned to the University of Utah in 1943. The bleachers, standards, and the entire basketball floor were removed and stored in the balcony. New lavatories had to be installed because of the numbers of people. Tongue and groove oak flooring was installed on the main floor and the balcony housed a post office, two officers quarters, a barber shop and a lounge.6 p.66 In 1949 the athletic ticket office moved from the Union to the fieldhouse.31 9-28-49 In 1989 it was used for student service and instruction.4
Revised
12 March 1998
Home Page | Bibliography | Building List | Campus Map